Friday, January 14, 2011

The Season of Sewing

I always complain that there are not enough free tutorials on the web...until now.  I have been making projects like crazy thanks to all of the generous bloggers on the web who share patterns and how-to's.  Thanks to Morgan Moore at http://morganmoore.typepad.com/one_more_moore/2007/02/valentine_tree__1.html for this super fun ruffle apron.  I added a layer of tulle under each layer and used Christmas fabrics to give as gifts to my fellow hostesses at the Holiday Social for my HOA.
How do you like my model?

My other aprons were one for Stef's husband Andy.  I could not find any patterns on the web for this one so I had to wing it.  Per his request he thought a proper house-husband-apron should have an access port...I could not resist fulfilling his request:

I used some tea towels that Julie had given me...overall, I think a very successful recycling project!

Jack loves to help me in the kitchen and it has been on my list for a while to make him an apron and chef's hat.  I picked up a remnant of this car fabric in Japan and couldn't figure out what to make with it.  This was perfect.  Added a bit of beige linen for the straps and voila my chef is outfitted!  The chef's hat pattern is from youcanmakethis.com (one of their very few free patterns) and the apron was my own creation.
 

Finally, I tackled a fabric mail organizer courtesy of a tutorial from noodle-head.com http://www.noodle-head.com/2010/05/mail-organizer-tutorial.html It was super easy and fun to make.  I had bought a fat quarter set in black and white damask patterns a while ago and had never used them.  This was a great way to make use of those and the spare pink linen I had in my stash.  The pink linen is the lining inside and worked well with the interfacing to make the pockets stiff.

Overall, I knocked a few items off my list, made a few gifts for friends and re-sparked my love for sewing.  Currently on the table are three quilts sandwiched and ready to quilt.  Hopefully the next post will not take 8 months and these quilts will be on their way to the recipients before Valentine's Day.




1 comment:

  1. Jen, cute aprons, and I enjoyed reading your blog. Funny thing is, I also made aprons as gifts this year for Christmas. Aren't they fun?
    Jack is soooo cute, love the stories!

    ReplyDelete