Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day 16 of 34 Days of Jack

Today was a big day for Jack and his mama.  We skipped pre-school so Jack could sleep in, he has been getting at least 12 hours every night and I just hate to wake him up before he wakes on his own.  Who would want to disturb this angel?
Once my this little sleepy head was awake we headed to bas to meet Tyler Florence.  Lessons learned from other events like this on base: get there early or miss out.  The signing was from 12-1 so I got there at 10:30 and there were already 8 people in line.  I bribed Jack with donuts and a movie on his iPod and he stayed happy for almost the entire 90 minutes that we waited.
Finally 12 rolled around and Tyler Florence arrived.  He was slightly taken aback by the 100 plus people waiting in line for his autograph.  When I got to meet him I told him how cooking is one of the most important things to a military family.  Cooking is what makes home "home" for us.  It doesn't matter where we live in the world, if we can have 40 clove garlic chicken we are home.
 
After meeting one of my culinary heros we headed to McDonalds off base for lunch...(I know, I should have been inspired to go home and cook something but I have a two-year-old and not a lot of patience these days).  After we ate, Jack played in the playland and made three new Japanese friends.  The friendship was initiated by speaking in monster and then they started to chase one another around.  I took a lot of great video but it needs some editing so I will upload it to you tube soon and then add the link into this post.  Then finally, this evening we headed out to Sankeien Gardens for the third year in a row to see the cherry blossoms illuminated at night.  This is one of my favorite things to do and I was especially excited about it this year since I recently finished a photography class.  I knew sooooo much more about light and exposure this year, it made a huge difference.  Here are some of my best shots.





and of course Jack was running around all crazy the whole time - totally out of control and getting himself and his buddy Vann in all sorts of trouble



The boys had a good time running around like maniacs and Tonia and I got to give Lauren (due in May with her first son) a taste of life with a crazy toddler boy.  I am in the midst of experiencing all of my "lasts" now so I am soaking up all of the Japan that I can.  Tomorrow night Tonia and Vann are coming over for Shabu Shabu and a bunch of other super yummy Japanese dishes.  I also picked up something called Magic Jelly in melon and strawberry flavors from my local store. I think it is instant Jello with a foaming effect on top.  I will be sure to take pictures of the boys making it, it should be fun and messy!

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures turned out great! Thank you for clarifying I am due with a baby and that was not a huge CHU-HI belly! haha. Great pic. of the boys too! YAY! Had a great time and the boys were awesomely fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I am stealing the last picture and posting on my blog since I am the only one who came out on the one I took! ;)

    ReplyDelete