Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 13 of 34 Days of Jack

Sunday is usually our super lazy day but this week I attempted my first food competition.  The CFAY Spring Festival on base had a chili cook off competition and I thought I made a worthy chili.  There were 11 competitors and prizes for the top four.  Unfortunately the judges didn't appreciate the refined ingredients and gourmet pallet of my chili.  I didn't place but I think I gave it a heck of a shot.  This is my 30 minute chili, give it a shot and tell me what you think:

3 TBSP EVOO
1 medium onion chopped
5 cloves of garlic chopped
1 TBSP salt
1 TBSP dried dill
1 TBSP medium chili powder
1 C sun dried tomatoes rough chopped
3 TBSP tomato paste
1 lb lean ground beef
1 Honey Lager Beer
1 14oz can of diced tomatoes
1 14oz can of light red kidney beans
1/4 C heavy cream

Cook ground beef until no longer pink over medium high heat.  While the beef is cooking heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion and garlic for 3 minutes.  Add salt, dill and chili powder and cook 1 minute until fragrant.  Add sun dried tomatoes and tomato paste cook for 1 minute.  While cooking drain cooked beef and rinse under hot water.  Add beef to onion/herb mixture and then add the beer.  Cook for 8 minutes or until reduced by half.  Add canned tomatoes with their juices and the kidney beans.  Simmer for 5 minutes then add heavy cream, remove from heat and serve.

I thought it was a winning chili...oh well.  It did get me motivated to enter more competitions though...oh no what have I started now!
these were the judges who chose traditional over unique
hey look!  My artwork made it on to a banner!  It is so cool to see the logo I created on something so official!

1 comment:

  1. You were a winner just having your artwork on display.

    ReplyDelete