Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Winnie, the guard cat...


Yikes, I cannot believe it has been a month since the last update!  The combination of school and Jack keep me quite busy.  These days when I get time to be on the computer it is to get work done.  The little guy is six months now, little pertaining only to age, it's amazing how fast time flies.  My "little" guy weighed in at 21 lbs and measured 28 inches last week!  I had to order a new car seat because his current one is only rated to 22lbs! This is where I sympathize when they say kids are expensive.

Last week was a big week for Jack.  He turned six months, cut his first two bottom teeth, received his latest immunizations, his first flu shot and now has to get 0.5ml of sodium fluoride every day because it is not in the water here.  We also started some sleep training with scheduled naps and a set bedtime.  We tried one night of letting Jack cry himself to sleep, but he was so hoarse the next day, I couldn't do that to him again.  When I went in to get him around 4:30am, Winnie was on Jack's changing table, across from his crib, watching over him.  She has never done that before.  I think she thought something was wrong with him and she was there to protect him. Good to know she cares that much.  Usually she bolts from the room when he is fussy, it's amazing that she knew the difference.  So Jack goes to bed with me again but he's been really good the past couple of nights and he has gone to sleep at 8pm and woke at 8am.  Not straight through, but with him right next to me, I don't have to wake much at all to get him back to sleep.  A full eight hours of sleep would be great but I don't need it bad enough to do anymore cold turkey sleep training.  He'll sleep in his crib through the night when he's ready.

Keith is gone for another five weeks, but last week flew by, I am sure the rest will too.  We have all sorts of projects and play dates to keep us busy.  Other than Sunday mornings...our favorite time...Keith is so busy when he is here, it's almost life as usual.  I look forward to the day when he has a job with a predictable schedule and we can sit down to dinner or have coffee in the morning.  When the ship is here, his job keeps him sometimes as late at 8 or 9 pm and then he has to inhale dinner to get to bed so he can be back at work bright and early.  Well, the little bean and I have to get off to bed.  We just emailed Keith to say hello for the day, not as good as a phone call but better than only having letters.  

Today I am grateful for my new friend Melanie and her son Peter.  Peter is 3 months old but a very big boy like Jack.  I thought he was the same age as Jack when I first saw him.  Tonight the four of us went on a "double date" out for sushi.  The boys behaved well and we stuffed ourselves with all sorts of tasty items.  Melanie's husband is deployed too so we have a lot to talk about and it is nice to have another "mom" to hang out with for support.  I am going to tag along to the salon on Saturday so she can get her hair done and not have to worry if Peter needs some extra attention.  Unfortunately I met her when she only has a short time left here.  They leave for Great Lakes soon which is truly "great" because I can visit when I visit Chicago to see Steve, Julie, Jeff...and now Sarah, Ame and Isaac too!  

Okie dokie...time for bed...another adventure awaits us!  


P.S. I'll put more pictures in tomorrow, Jack can't hang any longer and the site is having issues...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, Jack is such a cutie. Thanks for the picture. I needed a March picture for my calandar.
    Poor little guy, sleeping by himself and cutting teeth at the same time isn't much fun. He will get the idea one of these days, or you will have to buy a much bigger bed. I can't believe how big he is getting.
    Give Jack a hug & one for you too. Remember we love you. G & G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see you both in a photo! I can relate to a crazy life! Mine is a whirlwind of activity these days. Can't wait to see you guys. I will be spending as much time as I can with you. Talk to you soon.
    Love you lots,
    Nona and gang

    ReplyDelete