Wednesday, February 6, 2008

They told us it doesn't snow here...

When I was deployed to Japan in 2004, it snowed a lot that winter. I have a very clear memory of how much it sucked to dig trenches day after day in 0 degree weather with wind and snow. When we arrived here in July it was 85 degrees with wicked humidity and screeching cicadas. I remember asking when it was going to cool down and if it snowed here in the winter. The majority replied, "it cools down in October"...which was correct...on October 1st it cooled off and it has gotten progressively cooler.  They also said that we may get a "dusting" but the snow doesn't stick here...yeah, whatever.  Now it is 30-40 on an average day and on Sunday we woke to this:






We couldn't believe our eyes! Overall we got about 6" and Keith had quite a time battling the ice covered car on Monday morning. Poor guy has to go to work before the sun comes up so he had to be creative. Once the snow stopped each neighbor on our block emerged, bundled with eyes gleaming, creating their own versions of Frosty. Later on in the day we braved the roads and did some grocery shopping, this gave us a chance to introduce Jack to his first snowflakes. He didn't seem to mind the cold and the snow didn't really catch his attention. 

From what I recall, this cold weather lasts through March and into April, right up to when the cherry blossoms begin to bloom. I hope we have some in our neighborhood, if not Jack and I will have fun going on cherry blossom seeking adventures.

This is Jack on January 27th, his five month birthday...




He's almost six months!?! Can you believe it!?! Wow how time flies...

P.S. Thanks Gram for the great slippers, they fit great and now we have super warm tootsies!


6 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world! We have gotten close to 4 feet so far this winter. I can't wait to go on my cruise next week. Wish you guys were with us. Give my chubba bubba a big kiss,and Jack also. (ha-ha). Talk to you soon.
    Love you,
    Nona and Papa T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your slippers fit. Let me know if you need more.
    We were in snowy Reno this week. There was a lot of snow on the ground in town and the mountain was beautiful. I like to look at it, don't like to be in it.
    We are freezing our tails off here too. I can't seem to get warm. Come on spring.
    Jack is getting so big and looks so much like his daddy. What a cutie.
    Hugs and kisses to all of you. Remember we love you.
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenn, Keith and Baby Jack,
    I love seeing each new post and photos that you add to your blog. The snow looks beautiful, that amount I could handle, Julie's would be too much for me. Did you build a snowman for Jack?

    He is getting so big and time moves so quickly, he will be crawling and then standing and walking before you know it. Give him a kiss for me?
    Love,
    GG Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brrr! I'm glad we were there in December! I got back on my bike for the first time in several months last week. It was 68 and sunny so I had to get outside. We'd need ice tires to bike in Japan right now.

    Speaking of biking, there is a gal in my spin class who must be your doppleganger. I did a double-take the first time I saw her. Not only that, she has an infant son, and her name is Jenn. How weird is that?

    Give Jack-spud a hug for me.

    love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Those slippers look great to me too. We are all freezing this winter. Hope it is warm in Mexico for Julie and Steve. Every time I see that beautiful baby I can't believe how big he is getting. I hope I get to see him and hug and kiss him before he gets too big.
    Love you all,
    XOXOXOX
    Grandma Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenn,

    I saw the blog last night and I thought the snow looked so beautiful. I can imagine you taking on the weather and adventuring as always with you little cutie pie.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete