Friday, August 3, 2007

Webber Pace vs. The Rest of the World's

(I took this picture in Kamakura, Japan when I was here in 2004. It was at a shrine where the smoke from the burning of cedar branches created a beautiful effect with the sunlight.)

If only the world could keep up with us. We did everything we could to prepare for the move so we could expedite the "settling in" process as quick as possible. We knew that move-in costs would be exorbitant and that we would need as much cash on hand as possible. The day after we arrived, Friday, we completed the mandatory housing brief where they mentioned the bank needed 3 days to process a large dollar to yen conversion. Later that day we went to the Community Bank, opened an account with a very large check and let them know we would be exchanging it for Yen on the following Friday. On Tuesday we selected the house we wanted, then figured out exactly how much we would need to move in. Wednesday we were in indoc class all day so afterwards we set up our contract date for the 6th and a move-in date for the 7th. Then we scheduled appliance delivery, household goods delivery and utilities then we called the bank to see if we could get the contract money on Thursday, they said no problem. Thursday...indoc class ended at 9:30am so we headed over to the bank to make our withdrawal. This is when we found out that my first attempt to liquidate funds was going to take up to ten days to process...who knew? we needed a quicker game plan.

At this point we had everything scheduled so Keith's stress level went through the roof and was convinced that the move-in was going to be delayed. We called USAA, our main bank, and wire transferred the money to the new account. No big deal, we just didn't want to use our cash on hand when 50% of the moving expenses will be reimbursed by the Navy in two weeks. No worries, it will all work out in the end. Today, Friday, we went back to Community Bank to make the withdrawal and exchange a crazy amount of dollars into Yen. Of course the Yen rate has dropped from 119 Yen to 115 turn this means a week ago our Yen was worth $283 more...yikes! We forgot just how important timing is with exchange rates, especially when it comes to large sums of money.

Keith did his best to not focus on the difference while I reminded him of England where the fluctuation will be back in our favor at some point and long as the Japanese economy doesn't go into the toilet (which seems impossible)...we'll break even. My response to stressful situations these days is, "marshmallow feet, back-ache, frequent bathroom breaks and braxton-hicks are enough for me to stress about, I am simply running out of room".

Jack is still kicking up a storm and I can tell he's starting to get a little more cramped. His kicks have become more rolls and stretches where it feels like he's trying to make more room. After a busy and stressful week we are looking forward to sleeping in this weekend and venturing out into town for cell phones. Next week is going to be a whirlwind but after this week I think we are prepared for anything.


  1. Sounds like you are getting it all done. Remember to get some rest for you and Jack.

    I wish you lots of love and comfort in your new home.

    Remember that we love you.

  2. As usual it all worked out perfectly. Take a breath Keith. In a few more days you will be sleeping in your own bed and this will all be just a bad memory. Talk to you soon. We'll celebrate a belated b'day party when we get there.
    Love,love,love you.